Sunday, April 8, 2012

What am I going to be when I grow up?

Being almost 32 years old and still contemplating what I want to be when I grow up is pretty scary. By all accounts I already am grown up, so shouldn't I already be settled into my career?
It's not that I am lazy, or uneducated, or even a bad employee. It's simply that I haven't figured out my purpose yet. I can't accept that life is about waking up, working a job, and going home. Shouldn't my life be about working a career that I am passionate about? Something that I can't wait to sink my teeth into, something that makes me feel like I am making a difference, something that doesn't feel like work.
At what point do we compromise our happiness for our careers? Is life really about how much money we make?  I suppose it depends on what we value that dictates our life's work. I value relationships with people and animals. Now I just need to find a way to make money at it...
I suppose I can make a list of my strengths and then build off of that. So here goes nothing, here are my strengths:

1. Highly ethical
2. Trustworthy
3. Love learning about people
4. Easy to talk to
5. Warm personality
6. Kind
7. Honest
8. Empathetic
9. Work well under pressure
10. Excellent at budgeting
11. Supportive

In reviewing my list, I make an incredible friend, companion, and over all human-being. Still, it leaves me with the question, "What am I going to be when I grow up?" How do I put my strengths as being a truly good person into practice as a paid career? *Sigh* Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment